I’m a big fantasy basketball fan, and stumbled across ESPN’s newly updated “Top 150″ list of fantasy basketball players.
Here’s how the Wizards fared:
Rank Player Pos Team Prev
47 John Wall PG WAS 48
58 Andray Blatche PF/C WAS 58
87 Gilbert Arenas PG WAS 88
125 Kirk Hinrich SG/PG WAS 122
142 JaVale McGee PF/C WAS 142
A couple of thoughts…
- I’m really encouraged by John Wall’s rating. He’s ranked ahead of guys like Derrick Rose (53), O.J. Mayo (56), and Brandon Jennings (61). Not sure if I necessarily agree with all of those selections, but as a Wizards fan, I’m certainly not going to complain.
- Andray Blatche’s breakout season was obviously noted. He’s ranked 12th out of all power forwards. Interestingly, Antawn Jamison is ranked ahead of him, at spot number 38. Honestly, I’d predict Blatche to disappoint if the expectations are for him to be a top-60 player. He’s missing most of the off-season due to injury, and won’t be the number one scoring option anymore with John Wall and Gilbert Arenas returning. He will still have a nice season, but don’t expect a 20/10 statline.
- I understand Gilbert Arenas’s low rating, but I’d pick him waaaaay before pick 87. This guy used to be a top ten talent. In most drafts, the 87th pick would be in the 7th round. I’d say he should go in the 40-50 range as a high-risk, high-reward player.
- Kirk Hinrich looks about right at 125. He will probably average 10-12 points, add 3-4 assists, and make lots of threes.
- JaVale McGee has the potential to be a breakout fantasy stud this season. Right now he’s ranked 142, but I’d pick him earlier than that and hope he makes me look like a smart man.
What do you think about the rankings? Let me know in the comments below.