We’ll be covering this afternoon’s Eurobasket match up between the Czech Republic and Slovenia. Of course, both Jan Vesely and Tomas Satoransky will be featured on the Czech side, while Phoenix Suns guard Goran Dragic will lead Slovenia.
- The Czech guards are having a really hard time covering Dragic and the other Slovenian guards. Vesely has been forced to help defensively since the guards are having a tough time, making him vulnerable to inside passes.
- Vesely has done a great job finding Satoransky cutting to the basket. Vesely hasn’t been able to get the ball in the post, but so far, he’s made two field goals off pick and rolls coming from Satoransky. He’s scored 6 points in the first quarter, and is clearly a lot more athletic than anyone on the floor.
- Satoransky definitely has the court vision and awareness to have some success in the NBA. His teammates haven’t done a great job finishing, but he’s getting everyone involved with his passing.
- From the looks of it, the Czech guards aren’t used to playing in the half court. Vesely still doesn’t look very comfortable under the basket as he just missed a point blank hook shot.
- Vesely just bricked both of his free throw attempts with four minutes left in the second quarter.
- Tomas Satoransky has done a decent job creating offense for himself. After being stuck on an island in the perimeter, Satoransky banked in an awkward three pointer.
- The Czech national team is down by four at halftime (36-32). Vesely has 6 points to go along with just 3 rebounds. All of his baskets came in the first quarter. Satoransky has been very creative, but his teammates haven’t capitalized.
- The Czech Republic has been undersized, and playing Vesely at center hasn’t helped thus far. He’s been bullied under the basket on numerous occasions, and he’s definitely struggled finishing over the bigger defenders. He’s still very hesitant and that needs to change quickly.
- The Czech team has battled back within two points. Both Jan Vesely and Satoransky have missed opportunities to take the lead. Bostjan Nachbar has missed both free throws, giving the Czech national team another shot to tie or go for the game winner.
- After calling a timeout, the Czech team couldn’t find a shot and committed a traveling violation on their final possession.
- The Slovenian national team sneaks out with a two point victory over Jan Vesely and the Czech Republic
Vesely didn’t look very impressive, but at times, he looked like the best player on the floor. As expected, he’s still depends way too much on his athleticism. He finished with 17 points, 7 rebounds and 3 blocks. Most of his shots came from Tomas Satoransky, who looked terrific. Vesely hasn’t developed as much as we would’ve hoped, but it’s evident that he’ll play better once he runs a transition offense with John Wall and company.
We’ll keep you updated on Vesely and the rest of the Wizards participating in Eurobasket 2013.