The Washington Wizards lost to the Philadelphia 76ers 109-102. It is one thing to have an off night and lose to one of the worst teams in the NBA. That happens. But to lose your home opener after an incredibly strong first half by the Wizards takes the normal disappointment that comes with a loss and moves it into an entirely different level. It was a disheartening loss, but it’s still early in the season. Hopefully, this isn’t a sign of things to come. Here are your Bullet Points:
- The Wizards defense was the most problematic thing for me that stuck out in the game. My eye for basketball defense isn’t skilled enough to tell whether the problem was the Wizards gambling on defense and jumping passing lanes or poor effort by the team’s bigs. Either way, the 76ers ended with 74(!) points in the paint, which is unacceptable, even when the other team has Thaddeus Young.
- The Wizards finished with 34 fast break points, so it isn’t like the defensive gambles didn’t have any positive outcome. But it also means they were only able to score 68 points in the half court. If the Wizards want to make the playoffs, they’re going to have to do better than that from their offensive sets.
- Wall finished the first half 23 points and for a while it very much looked like he was going to put show similar to the on the 47 point performance against the Memphis Grizzlies last year. Without his effort, the 76ers probably control this game the whole way and it ends in a blowout.
- Beal finished a very disappointing 4-18. He didn’t seem to get a whole lot of open looks and tried forcing the issue.
- I’m also pretty concerned that the Lavoy Allen and Tony Wroten were as effective against the Wizards as they were. Much of the 76ers team is made up of cast offs, but they’re even more out of place then the starting five.
So to recap – really depressing loss, but it’s early in the season. Hopefully, the Wizards we saw tonight are not the Wizards of the future.
Washington will have a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, to pick up their first win of the season against the Miami Heat on Sunday.